Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bottle Cap Tutorial

This is my first ever tutorial so excuse the mess of learning.

What you need:

1 inch punch or scissors
Glossy Accents or Diamond Glaze
1 inch Epoxy Stickers (method 1, not needed for method 2)
flattened or regular bottle caps with no ring
Drill or Big Bite
paper
jump rings
beads or charms
Head pin findings
Mod Podge (if using a photo or paper that could bleed)

There are 2 ways to accomplish this look and the bottlecap stickers I found was FAR easier in my opinion and no mess but, I will show you both for the sake of learning.

I ordered my flattened bottlecaps and epoxy stickers from ebay. The epoxy 1 inch stickers are called Fizzy Pops. I got a bag of 100 caps and 100 epoxy stickers.

Then I used my Big Bite and punched holes in the top and bottom of the bottlecap. You can also use a drill to do this but, since I don't mess with power tools I passed. This is optional. I like to use a jump ring on the top to attach it to my project and a jump ring on bottom to add a bead charm.

Then take your scissors or 1 inch punch and cut/punch out your image.(IF YOU USE A PHOTO OR THIN PAPER SEAL IT FIRST WITH MOD PODGE) I used some left over paper I had from my 2 peas swap.

TO USE THE EPOXY STICKERS : place the epoxy sticker over your image and press firmly.

TO USE JUST GLOSSY ACCENTS IGNORE THE STICKER STEP


Put a thin layer of Glossy Accents on your cap and I used my finger to coat the cap. This keeps air bubbles from popping up later.

Then place either just your image if you are going to use only Glossy Accents or your Epoxy stickered image onto the cap. MAKE SURE THE IMAGE IS FACING  UPRIGHT WITH THE JUMP RING HOLES, or you will be all sideways. I let this sit overnight to keep air bubbles out. If using just the stickers you are DONE just place your jump rings in and charms and add it on your layout.

GLOSSY ACCENTS:

 After your image and cap has sit overnight place a thin layer of Accents over the image slowly and watch for air bubbles. I check back about 30 mins later for any new air bubbles that may have popped up and poke them with a needle.


Allow to dry overnight but, still be careful it took mine almost 3 days before it was completely dry. Add your jump rings and charms and you are DONE!




Clear as mud? I hope this make sense to everyone. You can use any image as long as it is cardstock or thicker paper. IF YOU USE A PHOTO MAKE SURE TO SEAL IT FIRST WITH MOD PODGE

Did you make some caps? Link up in the comments so we can see your layouts... I will add them to the thread for followers to see examples.

Happy Capping!!!

6 comments:

Alanna said...

Oooh very nice. I might just have to give this a go one day. Do you buy the caps pre flattened or do you do that part?

leslie said...

I purchased mine pre-flattened but from what I have heard you can flatten them with a cuttlebug or machine like that..

Alanna said...

Thanks. Where did you buy them from?

leslie said...

I purchased both the caps and the stickers from:

http://shop.ebay.com/merimarstyle/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Which is Merimar Style's shop. She has 100% feedback and I had no issues at all.

Alanna said...

TFS! Just purchased some! Can't wait to try my hand at bottle cap making :)

Alanna said...

My bottle caps arrived yesterday from the US and I've had fun playing around with them! Thanks so much for your tutorial as it convinced me to buy some!

Post a Comment